Eye diseases are emerging as a health problem common to all age groups of population. Number of visually impaired people in Bangladesh is increasing day by day. Cataract and glaucoma are the major causes responsible for 80% of blindness or loss of vision in our country. Of the estimated blind people in the country, 70-80% can have some or all of their eye-sight restored through early diagnosis and proper management & treatment. Treatment of eye diseases & eye care is of growing demand in Bangladesh. Considering the gravity of the situation Dr. Khandaker Alamgir Hossain, Founder Executive Director of GUK took the initiative to set up an eye hospital in Bogura district of Bangladesh to provide treatment of eye related diseases and prevent blindness in the society. Accordingly, the GUK Eye Hospital was established in January 2015 at Banani, Bogura with treatment and operation facilities including having a low cost diagnostic lab along with a medicine and optic corner.
Objective of the Initiative
The main objective of establishing the GUK Eye Hospital is to provide low cost but quality eye care services to the poor people with special emphasis on the members of GUK microfinance & other development programs and projects for prevention of blindness and eye diseases.
GUK Eye Care Services
GUK Eye Hospital has been providing high quality services by using latest optical machineries and Eye specialized Doctors and Expert hands with your affordable cost of services. GUK Eye Hospital provides in the following services to the patients;
- Regular 200-300 people received services from GUK Eye Hospital
- Vision Test
- Preliminary Examination by the Doctor
- Refraction with PG Power
- Different Test (BP, IOP, SPT/DUCT. RBS, BTCT. Hemoglobin, Blood Grouping, KOH, Schirmer Test, ECG etc.)
- Final Examination by the Doctors
- Regular basis Counseling
- Optical Dept., medicine and Campaign at the rural level.
- 38,525 patients received out-door-patient services
- 22,869 patients received free eye care treatment services through various eye camps
- 280 patients received free cataract and other operation services
- 2,175 patients received free eye care services through GUK CSR
- Regular 100-150 people received services from GUK Eye Hospital.